No PTA experience is required, nor do you need to know everything about John Muir. Most of us learned about the PTA and John Muir by attending a PTA meeting or helping at an event.
John Muir PTA Board Roles
President (Elected Officer)
- Represent the Muir PTA to the press and at all events. Create and bring to life, through their leadership, the Muir PTA’s Mission Statement. Time commitment: 5-8 hours/month
Vice President (Elected Officer)
- Support President and oversee committees. May be called upon at any time to temporarily assume the place of president. Time commitment: 5-8 hours/month
Secretary (Elected Officer)
- Keep accurate records of the proceedings of all PTA meetings. Work with president and board to create meeting agendas. Time commitment: 5-8 hours/month.
Treasurer (Elected Officer)
- Manage budget, provide financial report at monthly meetings, write checks, make deposits, understand the current state of fundraising activities. Time commitment: 5-8 hours/month
Committees & Chairs
Welcome Committee, Chair
- Goal: Welcome families and foster an inclusive atmosphere within the school community. Create a mentor family program, assist with new family tours, publish school directory. Time commitment: 2-5 hours/month.
Fundraising Committee, Chair
- Goal: Organize the events and activities needed to reach our fundraising goal, including the Walkathon and the Auction. Time commitment 2-6 hours/month
Procurement and Business Development Committee, Chair
- Goal: Develop business relationships and procure items needed by PTA for events and meetings. Time commitment: 2-4 hours/month
Events Committee, Chair
- Goal: Coordinate these school-wide events: Book Fair, Staff Appreciation Week, Holiday Potluck and School Dance. Time commitment: 2-4 hours/month
Communications Committee, Chair
- Goal: Outreach to school families about PTA events, school events. Outreach to the community to raise awareness of our school. Create a monthly newsletter, oversee social media. Time commitment: 3-5 hours/month
Race and Social Justice Committee, Representative
- Goal: To ensure close coordination between this independent committee and the PTA.. Time commitment: 2-4 hours/month
- Represent the interests of Muir staff at PTA meetings. Must be a staff member at Muir. Time commitment: 2-3 hours/month.
Coordinators (not required to attend monthly PTA meetings)
- Ensure interpreters attend PTA’s community meetings and that all PTA materials are translated for major languages.
School Supplies Coordinator
- Purchase school supplies for all students, coordinate with staff for supply lists and delivery.
Student Support Coordinator
- Work with school staff and Race & Social Justice Committee to provide support for students, including snacks for classrooms, books for K-2 students, shoes and clothes and food over the weekend. Time commitment: 1-4 hours/month
- Recruit volunteers for PTA events, including: Staff Appreciation Week, Holiday Potluck, Book Fair, Walkathon, School Dance, Ice Cream Social, Auction, and Coffee Wednesdays. Time commitment: 2-4 hours/month.
- Track and increase PTA membership. Time commitment: 1-2 hours/month.
- Provide public policy information regarding issues that affect our families and students. Time commitment: 1-3 hours/month.
- Figure out how to spend remaining playground funds. Time commitment: flexible.
One Time Opportunities
We rely on individuals to organize the following events:
- New Family Picnic
- Coffee Wednesdays
- Staff Appreciation lunches and coffee
- Book Fair
- T-shirt sales
- ‘Clothes To You’ uniform swap
- School Directory
- PTA Bulletin boards in hall at school